Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Does the Honeymoon Have to End?

Hello everyone! I read this article the other day on my Focus on the Family magazine I get for free monthly. It was such a blessing and conviction. I felt so blessed to read this that I thought I'd share with y'all. Hope you enjoy it.

In His EVERLASTING love,
Leslie


*************************

Does the Honeymoon Have to End?

Keeping the romance alive through the years.


One night during our engagement, my fiancĂ©, Bob, and I went out for dinner with his parents. His dad unlocked the passenger-side door of the car for his mom without opening it then walked around to the driver's side. Bob’s mom noticed this and sarcastically pronounced, "Well, I guess the honeymoon’s over!"

Bob and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes. We didn't understand why they expected so much of each other and why they were rude when things didn’t go their way. I promised myself I would never be that way.

A year later, after we married, I was in our kitchen trying to prepare some breakfast before work when Bob walked in from the bathroom.

"You always forget," he said, irritated. I looked up to see him holding his electric toothbrush. "You always forget to plug this back in after you blow-dry your hair."

"Sorry," I said quickly, wanting to get out of there before a confrontation took place.

"How am I supposed to brush my teeth now?" he asked. I thought about a million things I could say. Instead, I ignored him and picked up my purse.

"I just wish you would try to remember that this is important to me," he added.

"Well," I shot back defensively, "I wish you would remember to put your white clothes in the first hamper and the colored clothes in the second hamper, but that doesn't happen."

"Great, here we go again with what I don't do right,” he said. "Why don't you just tell me what you expect me to do?"

"I don't expect a lot," I started, knowing I shouldn't open this can of worms but irritated by his inconsistencies. "Just some basics, like remembering more often to tell me you love me, being a little more romantic, throwing away these soda cans you leave lying around and helping me with the dishes and the trash."

"Oh, is that all?" He shook his head and went into the bedroom. I rolled my eyes, walked out the front door and slammed it behind me.

I drove to work in tears, wondering if I had made a mistake getting married. While we were still engaged, many people told us to enjoy the beginning because "after that, the honeymoon's over." Maybe they were right, I contemplated.

I rubbed my forehead and thought back to the week before our wedding. I was at work, and a woman congratulated me on my engagement. "I've been married for 12 years," she said, emphasizing 12.

I remember waiting for her to say the same thing about the honeymoon ending. Instead, she said. "And after all this time, we're still on our honeymoon. You don't ever have to let it end." I had never forgotten those words or the glimmer in her eyes. How I wished I could go back to that conversation and simply ask her how. How in the world do you not let it end?

I got home that night and didn't say much to Bob. We sat in the living room, watching TV and eating dinner. I was tired of the unspoken tension.

"I'm going to bed," I said, getting up. "Are you coming?"

"No. I'm going to stay up and watch TV," he said.

Figures, I thought. I got into bed and wanted to cry. But before I could, Bob walked in. He tucked the covers around me and kissed me on the forehead.

"I love you," he said.

I closed my eyes and felt a flood of emotions. It felt so good to be loved. But most of all, I was humbled by his humility.

"Hey, Babe," I said as he began to walk out of the room.

He stopped. "Yes?"

"I promise to plug in your toothbrush tomorrow morning."

He chuckled and nodded.

Over the following years, many such moments would keep the honeymoon "on." Moments when we acknowledged that what's not important to one may mean the world to the other, moments when we learned to let go of the expectations that don't really matter. Sure, marriage is never perfect, but as we try to love the other without expecting anything in return, the joys of the honeymoon stay with us still.

Sandi Greene lives with her husband, Bob, and their two children, Justice and Micah, in Arizona.


http://www2.focusonthefamily.com/focusmagazine/marriage/A000001214.cfm#

4 comments:

  1. This is a very good article. Thanks for sharing it. DH and I have been married for going on 26 years now, and we're still "honeymooning". The little things really do matter in a marriage.

    That kiss goodnight,and good morning. Laughing at his goofy jokes. Little things that may not seem like much, but mean the world because it shows you still love him.

    I know that God chose my husband for me. And even when I was foolish enough to run away from the situation, God brought us back together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good stuff sis thanks for sharing may we all just remember the simple things in life they relly do matter so much. May we all work at keeping our marriages in that honeymoon stage and praise God for the men He has placed in each of our lives.
    God Bless
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,
    This was so touching, because I thought I was the only one that had those types of disagreements with my honey. This really ministered to my heart and you know what we just have to let those silly little things go like: not putting the toliet seat down, or leaving his shoes where ever, or not rinsing out the dishes and so on.

    We have to just say you know what I'm picking up after him for the Lord. I'm serving my Lord by doing these things. We have to put ourselves aside and just let it go.

    That was easier said than done. It takes alot of self-sacrafice to do those things. Trust me, I've been there and done that. God is good, he totally will sustain us in those areas that we fail or fall short of his glory. He will still love us....unconditional and we need to love our husbands unconditionally.

    We need to make those little things count. Like saying "I Love you". Those I love yous can make a world of a difference. Those hugs and kisses do to. Those are little ways that we can show our husbands how much we love and care for them, by taking that small amount of time out of our busy schedules just to acknowledge them and tell them how much they are worth to us. And how much we appreciate that they are doing for us, by providing for us.


    Anywhoo, I'm taking my own advise. Again, easier said than done. Lord please be with us, help us to crucify our flesh and pick up our cross and follow you, and help us to love our husbands more than ever. Help us to love them like we never have before, help us to show them your love, your unconditional love.

    In Jesus Name,
    AMEN!!!

    In His Love,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Leslie! Didn't read this last week (but wish I had!) but needed it then and now. Thank you for sharing! Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...